Friday 26 June 2015

8 Differences Between Adults And Children Learning Music

When is it too late to start music lessons? Never. It is never too late to learn something new. To play and enjoy playing music you do not need to start at age 4. You do not need talent. You do not need youth to learn a new skill. This is a conversation I have on a near weekly basis. The vast majority of adults do not believe that they are capable of learning music if they did not start at a young age. This is simply not true. One of the biggest things that children have massive amounts of, that most adults do not is time. However, it does not require oodles of time to learn how to play music. When you're first starting out,  practicing a mere 15 minutes 5 days a week is enough to make significant progress. Yes, finding time is hard, but those 15 minutes a day really start to add up over time. As an adult you actually have many advantages over a child learning how to play music. You have a larger attention span. You can pick up on music theory much faster. You are most likely learning because you have a strong desire or passion to learn, which is not always found in children. Anyone can be a musician. You do not need talent, or a history of music in your upbringing. All you need is a desire to learn, and the willingness to set a side a small amount of time each week to pursue your dream. Learning Piano as an Adult - My Journey to Distinction Before I started my journey in piano learning as an adult beginner, I’ve always doubted my ability to success. Is it possible for an adult with zero knowledge about music to start learning an instrument from scratch? Will it be embarrassing to learn together with other young children? With this hesitation, I’ve delayed my piano learning for several years. Until one day, I decided to take the first step in realizing my dream. I’ve made up my mind to give it a try so that I will leave no regret in my life. In the blink of an eye, 7 years have passed by. Today, I’ve reached ABRSM grade 8 and I’ve never stop learning. But sometimes I’d wonder: If I started learning as a child, will I be able to achieve my current level? Can I do much better than now and go much further? Will it be any difference in my learning and achievement? Yes. There are indeed some differences between adult and children learner. Both of them are using different mechanism to learn. Here are some comparison between adult and children learner in music learning: 1. Adults are more mature than children.  They can understand music theory better in a shorter period of time. 2. Adults can have better muscle control compare to the children. Therefore, technical skills can be introduced earlier to them. 3. Most adults start learning an instrument because of [...]

The post 8 Differences Between Adults And Children Learning Music appeared first on Merriam Music - Toronto's Top Piano Store & Music School.

No comments:

Post a Comment