Friday 12 June 2015

Ever wonder what goes into that little compartment that is in every guitar player’s hard shell case?

Ever wonder what goes into that little compartment that is in every guitar player’s hard shell case? The items can vary depending on whether you play an acoustic or electric guitar. Some of the obvious (and not so obvious) things may be in there . These items are things essential to that guitar player whether playing a gig or jamming with friends. Over the years, I was always curious and would often ask guitar players if I could see what they kept in their guitar case’s compartment. Now this differs from what a guitarist might have in his gig bag. .. which is usually everything! From patch cords to mics to boxes of picks, tools, fuses, tubes, foot stands, water bottles, towels, day-old sandwiches...everything! The guitar case compartment is a bit more personal and sacred as it has a small limited space but is carried with as much respect as the guitar itself. First, let’s begin with mine. Since I play a flamenco guitar there some things in my case one would find in a classical guitarist’s compartment, as well. So, what is in my case compartment right now? The following: One extra pack of guitar strings (Augustine- Red Pack) String winder Micro guitar tuner Pack of 3v lithium batteries for the tuner Fingernail file, nail clippers and emery boards all kept in a Ziplock sandwich bags A little cloth zippered change purse from Peru that I keep my guitar capo, some medium light picks and $5 in change for parking meters. Sharpie Black ink pen A few of my business cards A Good Fortune card “La Rosa”, for Good Luck! These items are essential to my performance and I need to have them close at hand. Wherever it’s possible I keep my guitar case close by on stage. If I need to use my capo, picks for a song or change a string or tuner battery, I don’t want to be rifling through a gig bag backstage in the dark.   So, that ‘s my guitar case. What have I seen in other’s? Most classical guitarists have folded sheets of 600 Grade sandpaper to file their nails. One famous classical guitarist showed me a roll of packing tape and little pair of scissors. He said he uses the packing tape on his fingernails to protect them when he practices so he doesn’t wear them down before a concert.   I have seen many who have a photo of their kids, spouse or pet. Although in recent years this has declined, perhaps due to the photo albums on smart phones. Other things I’ve seen include small metronomes, though they too can be downloaded onto a smart phone. My micro guitar tuner has a metronome on it and I use it on stage all the time! Electric guitarists carry much of the same items as above except they usually have a truss rod wrench, a pair of pliers and a tiny screwdriver. I have seen those items in so many electric guitar [...]

The post Ever wonder what goes into that little compartment that is in every guitar player’s hard shell case? appeared first on Merriam Music - Toronto's Top Piano Store & Music School.

No comments:

Post a Comment